Board Certified Tax Law and Wills, Trusts & Estates Attorney
David M. Silberstein's practice involves wills, trusts, estates, taxation, business, real estate, corporate and partnership law. He advises clients how to structure their personal and financial lives to maximize planning opportunities for the preservation and transfer of personal and business wealth. David has advised numerous clients in complying with laws and regulations in the establishment, operation, and sale of businesses. His accounting background assists him in analyzing client financial information and providing legal advice.
David advises clients on pre-mortem (lifetime) and post-mortem estate and gift tax planning, succession planning, preparation and review of various documents and techniques, including wills, revocable trusts, charitable trusts, life insurance and other irrevocable trusts, partnerships, and the administration of trusts and estates after death (including probate). He assists clients in asset and stock purchases and sales, mergers, and other business transactions. David also advises clients on lifecycle events of businesses, from formation to dissolution, from acquisition to sale, from generation to generation. Entities take many forms, including corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, limited liability companies, limited liability partnerships, and limited liability limited partnerships.
He represents clients in connection with all aspects of probate in formal and summary administration procedures. David advises clients in connection with opening estates, administering estates, and closing estates, including settlement of estates and trusts and accountings.
David also advises clients on real estate matters involving purchases and sales, commercial and residential closings, leases, documentary stamp tax issues, deeds, and certain litigation matters.
He has authored and published numerous articles for various legal, accounting and business journals, and made numerous presentations for bar and accounting associations, legislative committees, and private business gatherings.
David is a member of the Florida Bar (since 1984), the Colorado Bar (since 1991), and the New Mexico Bar (since 1991). He is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Tax Law and in Wills, Trusts, and Estates. David is a member of the Tax Section and Real Property Probate and Trust Law (RPPTL) Section of the Florida Bar. He is a former Chair of the Tax Certification Committee of the Florida Bar and is a former member of the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education (BLSE). He is also a member of the Executive Council of the RPPTL Section of the Florida Bar and the Executive Council of the Tax Section of the Florida Bar. As part of the RPPTL Executive Council, David was the Vice-Chair of the Insurance Committee, and a member of the Estate and Gift Tax Committee and various other committees. David is currently the Chair of the Estate and Gift Tax Committee of the Florida Bar Tax Section. He is a member of the Southwest Florida Estate Planning Council. David is a past Chair of the Florida Law Network. He is also a member of the Colorado Bar Association and the Sarasota County Bar Association.
David was a past member of the Board of Directors (and its Executive Committee as the Parliamentarian) of Temple Beth Sholom (2000-2006), and of the Board of Directors (and its Executive Committee as Parliamentarian) of the Southwest Florida Chapter of the American Red Cross (1994-2000).
David was born in Jacksonville, Florida. He attended the University of Florida, where he received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting (1981), Juris Doctor (1984), and Master of Laws in Taxation (LL.M., 1985). David has also passed the Certified Public Accounting exam.
He has received an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, is a member of MENSA, and has been rated a Florida “Super Lawyer” by his peers.
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Tax Law
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Wills, Trusts & Estates
- Estate Planning, Wills & Trusts, Durable Power of Attorney, Living Wills
- Corporations, Partnerships, LLCs, LLPs, and related taxation
- Real Estate Purchase and Sales, Leases, Titles, Deeds and Documentary Stamp Taxes
- Masters in Tax Law (LL.M. Tax, 1985, University of Florida)
- Law (J.D. with honors, 1984, University of Florida)
- Accounting (B.S.A.C. with honors, 1981, University of Florida)
- Florida Bar (since 1984)
- Colorado Bar (since 1991)
- New Mexico Bar (since 1991)
- Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education (BLSE) (2008-2014)
- Florida Bar Tax Section and Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section
- Chair, Tax Section Estate and Gift Tax Committee
- Tax Certification Committee of the Florida Bar (2004, 2008); Chair (2007-2008)
- Member of the Executive Council of the Florida Bar, Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section
- Colorado Bar Association
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Past Chair, Florida Law Network (2006-2007)
- Temple Beth Sholom Board of Directors, Parliamentarian and Executive Committee (2000-2006)
- Southwest Florida Chapter of the American Red Cross Board of Directors, Parliamentarian and Executive Committee (1994-2000)